Zum Inhalt springen.
Sympa Menü

ag-meinungsfindungstool - Re: [Ag Meinungsfindungstool] Requirements in regard to split opinion formation

ag-meinungsfindungstool AT lists.piratenpartei.de

Betreff: Ag-meinungsfindungstool mailing list

Listenarchiv

Re: [Ag Meinungsfindungstool] Requirements in regard to split opinion formation

Chronologisch Thread
  • From: "marc" <marc AT merkstduwas.de>
  • To: "Start/Metagov" <start AT metagovernment.org>, "AG Meinungsfindungstool" <ag-meinungsfindungstool AT lists.piratenpartei.de>
  • Subject: Re: [Ag Meinungsfindungstool] Requirements in regard to split opinion formation
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:40:27 +0200

Michael Allan wrote
Marc and Slash,
Thanks for replying. I didn't phrase my question properly, so please
let me try again.

Marc said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if we missed the point here. Voting in the sense
of 'to make a decision' is not part of the [Discussion] System we
are talking about. It's part of the Decision System.

Yes, I agree. The problem was my phrase "voting tool". I shouldn't
be using that expression. Voting is just an implementation detail (a
means, a mechanism) and not a choice category for tools (T). So here
I re-phrase my question:

Suppose T1 and T2 are opinion expression tools. An opinion expression
tool is one that takes the individual opinions of users and publishes
a composite result that reveals the overall shape of opinion (M) as it
forms, including the pattern of consensus and dissensus, and related
details. So when a user wants to express his (or her) opinion in a
wider social context, he picks up his favourite opinion expression
tool (say T2) and tells it his opinion. The tool does the rest, and
out emerges the wider picture. For example:

This particular opinion expression tool (T2) shows each user's opinion
as a single dot in some kind of 2-dimensional opinion space. I don't
know if this a great visualization, but there it is. Other tools may
improve on it; maybe T1 is better. The user may choose whichever he
prefers because T1 and T2 are compliant plug-ins of S.

How do you guys feel about opinion expression, as I describe it?
(Myself, again, I feel it's very important to reveal the shape of
opinion as it develops. And I think active, continuous expression is
the best approach. Whether or not this is done with voting mechanisms
of some stripe is not directly relevant. I shouldn't speak of that.)

Opinion formation - as you described it - is a process over one's mind, right?
What about groups? Do they have a collective opinion formation process also?

IMHO the most relevant part is to compare different opinions with eachother. The discussion should evolve from a infinite amount of opinions into just some variations. Therfore group building processes might be fundamental to reach consensus. Or in other words like Slash said:

Slash said:
1. The use of the discussion system is not only to form oneself's
opinion, but also and especially to form the group's opinion and
making this totally visible.

OK, that sounds like what I'm calling "opinion expression".

2. Rating will definitifely play a central role within most of the
opinion forming tool plug-ins. Every argument or key aspect
statement could need a rating...

I agree that such evaluations are also important. But you see my
mistake I hope, and understand I'm speaking of something else.

Again, I'm interested in the views of anyone in the group. What do
you think of this notion of opinion expression? Is it good, bad or
just plain ugly? ;^)

IMHO it is one part of the puzzle and the basics needs to be reflected somehow in the domain model standardization. But the details are to be handled by the plug-ins or individual implementations. So I think that can be addressed by

participant has opinion
group consits of participants
group has position

And of course, the process to get to a groups position is far more complex ;o)

What do you think?

Cheers
Marc

Archiv bereitgestellt durch MHonArc 2.6.19.

Seitenanfang