Zum Inhalt springen.
Sympa Menü

ag-meinungsfindungstool - Re: [Ag Meinungsfindungstool] Anybody checked out placeavote.com?

ag-meinungsfindungstool AT lists.piratenpartei.de

Betreff: Ag-meinungsfindungstool mailing list

Listenarchiv

Re: [Ag Meinungsfindungstool] Anybody checked out placeavote.com?

Chronologisch Thread
  • From: Alexander Praetorius <citizen AT serapath.de>
  • To: mike+dated+1403186472.26125e AT havoc.zelea.com, Piraten AG Meinungsfindungstool <ag-meinungsfindungstool AT lists.piratenpartei.de>, Martin Stolze <pirate.martin AT stolze.cc>, Jacob Kanev <j_kanev AT arcor.de>, Betiel <betielix AT gmail.com>, Dario Castañé <dario AT pirata.cat>, Euroliquid project group <pp-eu.euroliquid AT lists.pp-international.net>, Pirate Parties International -- General Talk <pp.international.general AT lists.pirateweb.net>, Liquid Democracy in der Piratenpartei <ag-liquid-democracy AT lists.piratenpartei.de>
  • Subject: Re: [Ag Meinungsfindungstool] Anybody checked out placeavote.com?
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:16:50 +0200

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Michael Allan <mike AT zelea.com> wrote:
Martin said:
> ... finding a way to moderate a bigger discussion. Voting is only
> part of it, facilitating discussion, moderation, identity and trust
> management are other parts. ... I think you are much deeper into
> that then most around here. Hence my surprise that you think this
> won't matter!

Sure it matters!  My own surprise is to find anyone else who thinks
so!  That's why I hang out in the AG Meinungsfindungstool list (though
I don't know German).  They're the only other tech folks I know who
understand the priority of discussion and opinion-forming systems.

Now if only they understood the structural utility of votes for that
purpose, then we might be working together.  Unfortunately they see
votes as mostly for decision systems, like everyone else.

AFAIK we never made a survey and i do not feel that "voting" would only be necessary for decision systems, but yeah, what can we do :-)

> As for the Aggregator, frankly - No, it doesn’t make sense to me. I
> believe you are onto something but I am not quite able to grasp it.
> Votes won’t be public, maybe opinions. If you wanted to aggregate
> them you could simply use google news and filter a bit. Certainly
> you will have the fun stuff that draws in users.

Yes, the content would be opinions (think water), but the structural
form that carries that content across long distances would be votes
(think aquaducts).  But don't picture *decision* votes here or you'll
miss the point.  It's not a decision situation (freezes), but rather a
discussion and opinion situation (flows).

So here's the situation we're working to support (all of us, I speak
as a non-Pirate).  People are out there in the world discussing some
issue that might later be decided in a separate, central decision
system (it's always central).  That upcoming decision might be months
away, or years away, but no matter; they're curious to learn what the
correct decision would be.  In other words, they want to reach a rough
consensus before the fact.  So they argue for alternative courses of
action and express opinions on which is best.  So far, so good.  This
much is already possible out there, with or without digital democracy
sites, tools, etc.

But the participants are spread across many discussion sites that are
independent of any central control or coordination.  This complicates
things for the newcomer (important) who wants to orient himself, or
for the existing participant who wants to catch up on developments.
For these purposes, the most important information is the current
shape of aggregate opinion.  What are the alternative choices that
people are discussing?  What is the level of support for each?

This is the top view of the issue at a glance (think headlines).
Without it, we're unlikely to see much of a discussion; the newcomers
simply won't come.  Yet only a vote aggregator can project such a top
view.  It's fairly simple to hack together (I've done it in a test
prototype).  We just scrape the votes from where people are talking
about the issue, translate them to a common form, then publish the
totals for everyone to see.  For source sites that lack a voting
facility, we stick a vote button on the aggregator itself.

Basically we jump *on top* of the whole show, loosen the "reins", and
hang on tight.  (Are there any Cowboys out there?  You Pirates are
difficult to convince. ;-)

> Meanwhile, how about you help pushing a viable platform? It’ll make
> later aggregation even easier because you know all the details!

I'm open to that (thanks).  I guess we're all looking for that first
viable platform.  I see viable things we can do, but I don't know if
I'll convince anyone.  Meantime I'll keep working with my experimental
prototypes and documenting some of the technology we've hammered out
over the years.  My newer docs are rights reserved till I learn where
to publish them; I might have to publish in academic journals to get
the critique I need.  (This is to answer your question about GPL.
Votorola's software and manuals are still MIT - never were GPL.)

Thanks too about the resume, Martin, I might take up your offer some
day.  There's a limit to how many years I can work without pay. :^)

Mike

--
DISCLAIMER:
Everything I have written above is my personal experience/opinion on things, no matter what kinds of words i did use

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Alexander Praetorius
Rappstraße 13
D - 60318 Frankfurt am Main
Germany
[skype] alexander.praetorius

Archiv bereitgestellt durch MHonArc 2.6.19.

Seitenanfang